EXCLUSIVE: Lesotho not ready for elections, says former PM Thabane
Lesotho’s former prime minister Tom Thabane says the mountainous kingdom is not ready for elections, citing security concerns.
Thabane’s remarks came after the country’s King Letsie moved to dissolve parliament this week after Prime Minister Pakalitha Mosisili, who is also the leader of the Democratic Congress (DC) party lost a confidence vote. This, consequently, paved was for an election within three months.
Mosisili had headed a coalition government since a snap election in 2015 that was called in an effort to end the country’s prolonged power struggles.
But the coalition recently became fragmented, and parliament voted in favour of Monyane Moleleki to replace Mosisili. Moleleki’s Alliance of Democrats (AD) party split from the DC last year.
He, however, said that his party, the All Basotho Convention (ABC), was ready to contest the election.
Thabane said that the ABC together with other opposition parties were going to take the election exercise “very maturely”, and would tell the electorate about the outgoing prime minister’s abuse of office.
Thabane recently returned home with two other opposition leaders, vowing to win back power.
Taking a swipe at Mosisili, Thabane said if only the constitutional processes had been allowed to take place, a new majority party would have emerged in parliament.
He accused Mosisili of having failed to implement the resolutions that were taken by the regional bloc, the Southern African Development Community (SADC) task team.
“The biggest failure by the outgoing prime minister was ignoring the SADC calls for reforms in the military, particularly its involvement on issues of civilian politics,” he said.
Thabane said he was going to meet with the king on Thursday afternoon to discuss “some important issues” affecting the country.